Barley Grain is from the same family as oats, wheat and quinoa. It is not as popular as the other grains, as many people aren't aware of all the health benefits barley has. You can use it as an alternative for rice, or try it in a soup!
Barley is one of the oldest consumed grains in the world. It was a staple grain for peasants during medieval times and is still widely used in some countries. One portion of cooked barley has fewer calories, but more fibre than quinoa, brown rice or wild rice.
Although Barley Grain may not be as popular as other grains like oats, wheat or quinoa, barley can have some impressive health benefits. It has a very high fibre content, vitamins and minerals and antioxidants.
- May help healthy digestion
- High in vitamins and minerals
- Can stabilise glucose metabolism
- High in fibre, can keep you fuller for longer
- May help with weight loss
- Can assist to fight constipation and diarrhoea
- May help regulate bowel movements