Coix Seeds are also known as job's tears, Yi Yi Ren or Chinese pearl barley. It is one of the most popular food herbs used in China, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Malaysia.
They are a type of branched grass with broad leaves. They are shaped like tears and come in purple, white, brown and yellow. Like most grains, coix seeds are rich in nutrients and may provide many health benefits.
Job's tears are also used in some cultures as beads to make jewellery. The seeds have hard shells which can be polished easily. They also have a hole in the centre which makes them ideal for beading purposes.
- May help arthritis, high cholesterol, hayfever and joint pains
- Rich in fibre, vitamins, minerals and essential amino acids
- Can be used as a therapeutic herbal remedy
- High levels of essential fatty acids
- May alleviate digestion problems, abdominal bleeding, constipation and diarrhoea
- Can encourage the passage of water in the body to help water retention
- In boiled tea, the seeds may be beneficial for curing warts
- Can help improve heart health
- May benefit skin care